Ok, so we know that you want to network with other musicians: in our recent membership survey, 80% of you listed it as one of the reasons you joined SAW. Yet, only 18% of members attend SAW events (a.k.a. great networking opportunities) frequently or fairly often, while 26% did not attend an event all year.All good ideas! As the SAW board and event coordinators continue to encourage songwriting and performances, we invite all members to get involved as well. How?
So what would encourage you to get out more? Aside from time and health, (legitimate) excuses given by many for not going to more events, here are some suggestions from the survey:
- ability for advance sign-ups
- different locations (requests for VA, MD, Baltimore, and DC)
- more opportunities to get feedback at events
- feature performer showcase opportunities
- more co-writing workshops, more song publishing/placement workshops
- more diverse styles than typical SAW event
- safe, encouraging open mic
- more ways to network and connect online
- having a good way to sit in with performers who don't know me
Talk to our fabulous event coordinators (contact info is listed on event pages of SAW website) with your ideas and suggestions. They are there to answer your questions and give you the support you need. (And many allow for advance sign-ups)
Want to see another open mic opportunity in your area? Help to start one! You don’t have to do it alone – other SAW members can support you by offering advice, a venue, equipment, sharing hosting duties, or in other ways.
Connect and network – online (through SAW Notes on the website, facebook page) or in person – to share your songs and ideas with the SAW community.
Get out there! See you at an open mic or showcase soon!